I. JOB SUMMARY
The Director, Operational Excellence (OE) - Manufacturing Operations Error Prevention and Performance applies their biotech manufacturing-related operations experience, error prevention (EP) knowledge, and EP program experience to partner in the development and management of an error prevention program. This role leads the integration of human error prevention thinking and practices into the Manufacturing Operations OE program and site roadmap. This individual works with a broad range of Emergent leadership, management, staff and stakeholders to drive ‘safety first’, quality and first-time-right operations mindsets and behaviors. This person helps to develop tools and approaches involving human error analytics, learning, controls evaluations, problem solving, error reduction, error prevention, process improvement, operations resiliency, and the development of self-sustaining EP-related OE capabilities and systems.
The success of this role requires close collaboration and frequent interaction with Manufacturing; Human Resources; Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS); Global Quality; Engineering and other functional elements supporting plant and supply chain operations.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develop, lead and coordinate elements of the overall human error prevention (HEP) program strategy and plan.
• Partner with leaders and individual contributors, and lead efforts in the plants to strengthen work preparation and execution, work observations, open reporting, and post-work learning necessary to improve operational reliability and resilience.
• Coordinate and standardize the development of pre-job briefs, one-point lessons, and facilitation of after action reviews; Drive EP ‘learning practices’ across all areas of plant operations; incorporate adoption of error reduction and prevention tools into tiered meeting and plant management KPIs.
• Participate in deviation investigations and model methods that improve the abilities of investigation participants; partner with Global Quality to improve human error understanding, analytics, learning, root cause analysis and corrective/preventive actions, and broadly disseminate practical application across plant operations
• Collaborate with members of EHS, Quality, Operational Excellence (OE), and other functional areas to ensure consistent approaches and leveraging of best practices for the improvement of operational reliability and resilience.
• Design and deploy sustainable systems for tracking and reporting of results from EP activities, including progress to plan and business impact.
• Facilitate and deliver EP learning activities; develop HEP practitioner competencies across OE staff; Act as a coach mentor on EP and continuous improvement culture, techniques and best practices.
• Develop methods of measuring human error performance in alignment with organizational goals. Develop and facilitate periodic HEP program maturity assessments.
• Lead the design and development of effective digital technology to enable and simplify access and use of HEP tools and templates and enhance operational learning.
• Lead a HEP community of practice activities designed to develop, apply and learn from site HEP experiences
• Participates as a member of the Operational Excellence Core eam and OE business partner with EHS
• Act as a change agent promoting continuous improvement, engagement, innovation and inclusion with by incorporating these Emergent principles into HEP-related staff interactions
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree required in Science or Engineering discipline. Advanced degree preferred in engineering, science, technology, social science, or management.
• Advanced knowledge and experience in HEP, also known as behavior-based quality, behavior-based safety, Safety-II, Safety Differently, Human Performance (HP), and / or resilience engineering.
• 8- 10 years of experience in industrial (preferably biotech manufacturing) related operations, with 3 - 5 years of error prevention program development, implementation and/or management experience
• 3-5 of years experience participating in, preferably leading, human performance-related analytics, error prevention/reduction efforts in technical operations in either a safety, quality or OE capacity
• Strong leadership presence and the ability to influence leadership practices required to improve operational reliability and resilience.
• A proven track record as a leader and in the application continuous improvement that achieves strong, positive results.
• Deep experience in the performance of causal analysis and incident investigation.
• Strength in data analytical methods; experience and facility with Excel, Access and statistical packages such as Minitab and/or JMP
• Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and advanced presentation and facilitation skills.
• Excellent meeting management skills, including design, preparation and facilitation.
• Must possess knowledge of project management and experience of collaborating cross- functionally teams.
• Excellent organization, time management and project management skills, able to balance multiple projects and initiatives.
• Self-motivating, inspiring others, and collaborative with a bias for action in the achievement of adaptive moves that nudge the organization in a positive direction.
• Demonstrates courage and transparency with the ability to deal with challenge and conflicts.
Go to link for full job description and to apply: https://careers.emergentbiosolutions.com/job/Gaithersburg-Director%2C-OE-Mfg-Ops-Error-and-Prevention-MD-20879/724258300/