Our 24th Lean Peer Group kicked off on June 14th; however, space is still available so registration will remain open until July 13th.
If you register by June 30th, a make-up session covering session #1 topics will be held.
Virtual Lean Peer Group #24
June 2022 – May 2023
Build a Lean Culture to Ensure Long-Term Success
MWCC has held regional Lean Peer Groups throughout Maryland since 2012. This program is now available to organizations regardless of company location.
Lean applies to any type of organization and processing environment. Whether you are a manufacturer, distributor, service organization, or a non-profit, this program should be part of your Continuous Improvement plan. Revamp and re-energize your Lean strategy by networking with and learning from others who are committed to creating a Lean culture.
In-Facility Meetings/Tours - Due to the improved COVID-19 situation, we will pursue returning to member facilities for tours and/or full Lean Peer Group meetings. Multiple options are being considered to blend the virtual approach which enables more participants with no restrictions on company location, with the desire to return to in-facility gatherings for those in the same region.
Schedule - Each Lean Peer Group meets monthly. Group #24 meetings will fall on either the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday of each month. (Refer to the registration page for the tentative schedule.) However, if anyone is unable to attend on this date, they may attend one of the other Group meetings which are on Wednesday of the same week, and the previous Thursday.
- Lean Training/Discussion - 1 Hour
- Topic Examples - Lean Leadership, Resistance to Change, Influence / Motivation, Support System Alignment, Engagement Methods, Office Lean, Lean Fundamentals, Key Lean Tools
- Company Presentation - 30 minutes
- At each meeting, a Member Company will provide a short presentation on Lean activities in their organization, such as a company project, challenge, or Lean plans, for Group learning and/or to obtain member input.
- Company Check-In - 45 minutes
- Member sharing of experiences for others to learn and/or to request Group input on issues and challenges.
Following are some recent enhancements:
- Member Locations - Participation will not be restricted to any particular region within Maryland, nor is participation exclusive to Maryland organizations. The video conference format enables participation of organizations regardless of location.
- Number of Members - Since room capacity limitations are not a concern with videoconferencing, we will increase the maximum number of participating organizations to twelve (vs previous count of nine). Number of participants per company is not restricted (within reason).
- Number of Meetings - There are now 12 meetings, and MWCC Quarterly Conferences and Lean Learnings are no-cost to members.
- "Members Only" - Each Group has their own area on the new MWCC website. This member area will have a location for materials such as meeting presentation slides.
Who Should Attend?
Organizations – Not just for manufacturers, our Lean Peer Groups have a mix of companies from a broad range of industries and Lean maturity levels, from those who are just getting started to some who would be considered Lean-mature organizations. The only real requirement is a sincere desire and commitment to moving forward on this never-ending journey of excellence.
Meeting Attendees – There are no restrictions as to company position, but typical attendees include Lean facilitators and company leaders. Specifically, front-line leaders would gain greatly from ongoing participation. Though anyone in the organization who wants to learn more about Lean is welcome to participate.
What is the cost?
Lean Peer Group participation includes a one-year MWCC membership, a $1250 value. Maryland manufacturing and technology companies qualify for grant reimbursement of 50% of the $3000 fee at the end of the Peer Group round. (This reimbursement is subject to availability of funding and adequate appropriation.) Considering these factors, the effective cost for Maryland manufacturing members would be $250 for the whole organization for this year-long program. (Non-Maryland organizations should check grant availability in their states.)
Your Lean Peer Group Facilitator
Dave Rizzardo has been the Associate Director of MWCC since 2014. In 2012, he co-developed the Lean Peer Group service and has been facilitating multiple groups since that time. His Lean experience predates the time when Lean became synonymous with business excellence. His recently published book, "Lean - Let's Get It Right! How to Build a Culture of Continuous Improvement", dives into many of the topics discussed and debated during the MWCC Lean Peer Group meetings.
If you have questions about this program, contact MWCC Associate Director, Dave Rizzardo (717-855-0765) , or MWCC Managing Director, Joyce La Padula (410-960-3785).